BookOwl Picks: Nonfiction Graphic Novels

GIF of a guy making fun of his friend for reading a graphic novel

Graphic novels are a great way to get into reading, and contrary to popular belief, explore complex themes through both the written word and visual arts. Here are my picks of nonfiction graphic novels, both stand-alones and series alike.

The March series (3 volumes) by John Lewis

Primarily geared to a young adult (YA) audience, this graphic novel series explores the life of the late Congressman John Lewis. In particular, his struggle for civil and human rights as a young man. A good example of educational graphic novels that explore both biographical and historical themes.

Cover of "March: Book One" by John Lewis

Cover of "March: Book Two" by John Lewis

Cover of "March: Book Three" by John Lewis

The Persepolis series (2 volumes) by Marjane Satrapi

I read these as an undergraduate and found them to be incredibly helpful to explore cultures different from my own as well as history I don't know much about. In the case of Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi remembers her childhood in the tumultuous times of the Islamic Revolution. It's a coming-of-age story as well as full of Iranian history. 

Cover of "Persepolis" volume one by Marjane Satrapi

Cover of "Persepolis" volume two by Marjane Satrapi

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

Allie Brosh is my one of my go-to humorists. Hyperbole and a Half is my favorite graphic novel of her's, where she explores her life with impeccable comedic and dramatic timing and a hilarious art style all her own. An important exploration of what life is like for those who experience mental illnesses, as Brosh herself grapples with depression, it's the graphic novel that helped me to understand my own struggle with depression better and made me feel a little bit less alone.

Cover of "Hyperbole and a Half" by Allie Brosh

Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel

Alison Bechdel, of Fun Home fame, explores the incredibly complicated relationship she has with her mother, an incredibly intelligent woman who yearned all throughout Bechdel's childhood for an artistic career of her own. The career that Bechdel has achieved herself in her adult years. Full of wit and heart, Are You My Mother? is one of those graphic novels that stay with you long after you finish reading it.

Cover of "Are You My Mother?" by Alison Bechdel

Quiet Girl in a Noisy World by Debbie Tung

An introvert myself, I found myself relating very strongly to fellow introvert Tung's hilarious and poignant tale of self-acceptance as she comes of age in a very extroverted world. So, I'm a bit biased, but oh well! This is the graphic novel I wish I had when I was younger, to hand to people when I was tired of trying to articulate (and justify) my need for quiet places and solitude to recharge. 

Cover of "Quiet Girl in a Noisy World" by Debbie Tung

Happy reading!

--BookOwl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Lore Olympus, Volume Five" by Rachel Smythe

Book Review: "The Poppy War" by R.F. Kuang

Book Review: "Children of Dune" by Frank Herbert