Book Review: "Atlas of the Heart" by Brene Brown

Cover of "Atlas of the Heart" by Brene Brown


4/5 stars
*Spoilers warning!*

“Choosing to be curious is choosing to be vulnerable because it requires us to surrender to uncertainty. We have to ask questions, admit to not knowing, risk being told that we shouldn't be asking, and, sometimes, make discoveries that lead to discomfort.”

Atlas of the Heart is a 2022 Goodreads Choice Awards winner in the category of nonfiction. Upon it winning the category, I was curious as to why it had received the most votes, and now I know why!

In a time of climate crisis, ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and economic woes, society has made talking about mental health somewhat mainstream. Although much stigma remains for those who suffer mental health conditions, I think perhaps that we might be in a time where we want to explore the domains of emotional and mental health. As in, I think we all want to rediscover how to connect with people, after a few years of being physically isolated from one another.

GIF: Amanda Gorman: "We've learned that quiet isn't always peace."


"I want this book to be an atlas for all of us, because I believe that, with an adventurous heart and the right maps, we can travel anywhere and never fear losing ourselves."

After all, no matter if you're extroverted or introverted (raises hand) or somewhere in between, humanity is a social species. Personally, I find myself re-evaluating the relationships in my own life, and I think that was part of what I really liked about Atlas of the Heart. I could use some more emotional intelligence, and I genuinely learned a great deal from the book.

I listened to the audiobook version of the book, and the author I think did a great job, making sure to repeat passages that she thought were key. As I was listening, I was often doing chores and sometimes my mind can wonder during that process (because I often find chores just so boring and mind-numbing), so that repeating and emphasis was very helpful and much appreciated.

She did her best to bring psychological terminology down to earth, but I admit I really needed the repeats and the asides, so that I really understood what she was saying before moving on to the next chapter, because they definitely built on each other.

So, there are 87 emotions that humans experience. I think I know of at least 10 emotions, so this large number surprised me. However, the 87 emotions are grouped together into categories by how similar they are, with unexpected nuances in related emotions, such as envy and jealousy, or empathy and compassion.

GIF: surprised-looking fish

Brown puts names to experiences I have had that mix a variety of emotions. Names and language in general provide useful anchors, and I think Brown recognizes this and puts it to great use. I also think that language intercedes to make the mysterious less scary, and there's nothing more scary for me than peering at the dark side of my emotional life. Emotions like anger, contempt, and disgust that I tend to shove down. But bringing them to the table and examining them makes them less scary and alien, and they are good indicators of when you need to make some sort of change.

GIF: "I just feel like my heart is going to burst because it's full of rainbows"

This whole discussion was made more relevant and relatable by talking about her own process of learning as she conducted research over the years in topics such as empathy and connection. It made me feel less alone in my learning journey, as there were places where I got overwhelmed by the scope of emotional experiences covered here. Brown is a gentle, patient, and understanding guide as we navigate uncharted waters.

GIF: "Be patient. Be confident. Be calm."

I think this may be a book that I will end up buying in its print edition, because of how good a reference this is. I also have heard how good the illustrations are in the regular book, and I wish to experience those as well.

Happy reading!

--BookOwl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Lore Olympus, Volume Five" by Rachel Smythe

Book Review: "The Poppy War" by R.F. Kuang

Book Review: "Children of Dune" by Frank Herbert