Book Review: "The Midwest Survival Guide" by Charlie Berens

 

Cover of "The Midwest Survival Guide" by Charlie Berens

5/5 stars

*Spoiler alert!*

As a proud Midwesterner (born in Michigan and currently living in Wisconsin), I will admit that my review is a bit biased. However, The Midwest Survival Guide by comedian and podcast host Charlie Berens, is an absolute gem! With contributions from many writers and inspired by Charlie's trips around the country, everything from Midwestern culture to its hidden travel gems are explored in humorous detail.


GIF: Charlie Berens Comedy

You could tell that this book was proudly Wisconsin-centric, as many jokes were made about the state of Illinois, and its professional football team, "da Bears" (the Chicago Bears), chief rival to the Green Bay Packers. (As a Packer fan, I especially enjoyed this.) I didn't listen to this one on audio, but having gone to one of Berens' shows in La Crosse, I could definitely hear his accent as I read it. (I had a grand time!)

GIF: "We are the Dairy State"

GIF: "Who owns the Chicago Bears? Aaron Rodgers"

"Turns out the oceans regulate temperatures and are too big to push around weather-wise. So, when the West and East Coast landscapes try to act up, the Pacific and Atlantic usually quickly put them back in check...In Sioux Falls and Steubenville, however, it's come what may...Sans oceans in the Midwest, it gets extra hot in the summer and extra cold every spring, fall, and winter, and the weather just kinda does whatever it wants all day long. No telling what tomorrow--or the next hour--will bring."

(This quote comes from a section titled: "The Weather: Like a Box of Chocolates")


GIF: dressing in multiple layers

I felt especially seen when the unpredictable weather of our part of the country was brought up. I can attest to having to wear (or bring with me in the car) multiple layers in case it starts getting hot or starts to rain or sleet. In the winter, I make sure to pack snowpants and winter boots, and always have an umbrella in my car ready to go. I don't put away the snow and ice scraper back into the trunk until May. Matching your clothes becomes less imperative in the face of unpredictable meteorological conditions.

"2,462,000 BCE to 650,000--On the Rocks: Giant glaciers say, 'Let me squeeze right past you der' and move over a continent, flattening every mountain in their path, creating thousands of lakes of various sizes, and establishing a chill in the air that's still freezing pipes and hearts today."


(Quote from a section titled: "Midwest History")

Every the history nerd, another part of The Midwest Survival Guide that I really enjoyed was the section on Midwestern history, starting with that gem of a quote from 2,462,000 BCE, when the landscapes we know and love in Wisconsin and elsewhere were shaped. From the indigenous peoples that originally inhabited the land to the present day, I learned a considerable amount of history not covered in detail in school, such as the first Midwestern city. Established in 1144, this first city, named Cahokia, was inhabited by 20,000+ Native American people.

The illustrations made the reading experience even more enjoyable for me. I picked up on the various bottles of ranch hidden on page corners or within much larger images throughout the book, in a humorous nod to the omnipresent, all-purpose condiment that's not just for salads, mind you.

GIF: "I am home"

While The Midwest Survival Guide leans hard into Midwestern stereotypes, it is done in a way that's not condescending to either Midwestern or non-Midwestern people. It gave me greater understanding of the cultural context my siblings and I were born into, explaining family gatherings in a way that confirmed I wasn't crazy that goodbyes took hours or that "uff-da" is a valid, multi-purpose exclamation of frustration or even sympathy with peoples' bad luck.


If you need a laugh and a break from the 24/7 bad news flood, The Midwest Survival Guide is your book!

Happy reading!

--BookOwl


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Lore Olympus, Volume Five" by Rachel Smythe

Book Review: "The Poppy War" by R.F. Kuang

Book Review: "Children of Dune" by Frank Herbert