Book Review: "Storm of Olympus" by Claire M. Andrews

Cover of "Storm of Olympus" by Claire M. Andrews

4.5/5 stars

*Spoiler alert!*

I can already feel the book hangover coming over me. It was worth it though, not just for Storm of Olympus, but for the rest of this Greek mythology-inspired trilogy. Claire M. Andrews clearly did her research and then wove an arguably better yarn than the original stories, one that gives women, often bereft of agency in Greek mythology, their voices. Alongside Daphne, we get to see Helen, Ariadne, Hippolyta, and more as they fight side by side to reclaim Olympus not just for the gods, but the mortals as well.

GIF: "I'm having so many feelings"

“My gaze snaps up toward her. The goddess lays a cool hand on my shivering back.

‘He’s dead. All the gods are dead.’ Tears flow, burning a path down my cheeks. ‘How can I stop the titans from destroying humanity without them?’

Circe, lips trembling raises her chin. ‘You can save us all.’

I cannot feel hope. Will not. I croak, ‘How?’

She raises a cool, dry hand to my cheek. ‘By becoming the Storm of Olympus.’”

I knew it was coming, but it was quite the blow, with the gods defending Olympus from the newly released titans fall one by one during the seven months Daphne spends training to use her new immortal gifts with Circe on Aeaea. That’s towards the beginning of Storm of Olympus. I died but came back to life when Hermes informs Daphne the gods aren’t dead, but their souls merely trapped in Tartarus, a special hell in the Underworld. Daphne is to rescue them, Hercules-style.

GIF: Hercules punching Hades in the face after rescuing Meg from the Underworld

I’m not normally like this, but Apollo and Daphne are my OTP. (I love them.) The romance Andrews builds throughout the trilogy is much, much better of a story than the original Apollo and Daphne myth. (Also, Artemis is totally an Apollo/Daphne stan, as we see her trying to get Apollo to stop keeping so many secrets from Daphne.) Plus, I get the joy of Daphne putting arrogant Zeus in his place as Daphne fights with the gods in a tenuous alliance. We all know that Zeus deserves being taken down a peg or two, or a hundred.

“‘No more letting your hubris ruin the world.’ Drawing on my power, I let twin balls of lightning swirl in my palms. The wind rips around the cavern, snuffing the flames and forcing each of the Olympians back. Poseidon’s eyes are wide, his face slack and pale. ‘Change your ways before I let the titans destroy you. Again.’

‘You little bitch.’ Zeus leaps for me.

Apollo’s fist catches him hard enough on the temple that the blow reverberates up my own arm. The god of prophecy moved so quickly I didn’t even see him. Zeus slumps to the ground.

‘The next time you all die, I won’t bring you back.’ I turn and march from the forge without a backwards glance.’”

GIF: "That was fantastic!"

See, very satisfying, and many moments of humility for Zeus throughout Storm of Olympus warm my heart. Zeus was never my favorite character in Greek mythology. (I wasn’t sad when he was killed later in the book.)

“I fight for not just two sides, but three. For the mortals who need me, the gods who despise me, and to prove wrong the voice inside me screaming that it will never be enough.

We stand at an impasse. This god I love, yet loathe the family he fights for.

‘I won’t watch you die, Daphne. Not again.’ He turns on his heels, stomping into the camp.

The emptiness that fills me after he marches away is matched only by what I felt when he died.’”

Daphne fights for humanity, not just for the gods. She wants to end the slaughter by the titans, but doesn’t want to restore the Olympians to power, only to have the same cycle of violence and deceit and corruption lead to another apocalyptic war. Apollo is frustrated by her insistence on flinging herself into the fray and afraid of her dying, yet remains chained by Zeus and Hera’s bind on his powers. (There’s more to the bind than he’s willing to admit, but still chooses to fight by Daphne’s side.)

“Hera climbs slowly to her feet, throwing back her shoulders and raising her chin. ‘I cannot lift the bind, and neither can my husband or Poseidon. It is a lockless chain, only to be broken by Apollo of his own free will. He claimed to love you more than us, and so we cursed him to plummet to the true depths of his feelings for you in order to release himself.’ She brushes the front of her dress. ‘I understand why he never told you the true cost. We gods are hesitant to voice our true feelings, and none like him know the pain that invoking such feelings may cause.’ She hesitates, amethyst eyes flashing in the dark night. ‘He hasn’t been able to break the curse yet because he is just as afraid of his feelings as you are.’”

GIF: Sadness from "Inside Out" bawling

(Oof, I felt that in my soul. They both are stubborn and afraid for each other, but have to, over the series, grow to trust the other with both honesty and the understanding they both can defend themselves. Yes, he breaks the bind later in the book. And no, I won’t spoil that. Also, my heart has yet to recover.)

But Daphne needs more allies than she has. This leads to her, Apollo, and Hermes going on a diplomatic mission to Asgard of all places to see the help of the gods and goddesses of the Norse pantheon. Which doesn’t go well, partially because of Hermes being Hermes by thieving some of Asgard’s greatest treasures. (Hermes also was one of my favorite characters.) However, Helen and company have much more success in finding allies.

Hermes:

GIF: "I am very comfortable with who I am"

“Our newfound allies, an army unto its own, may have just drawn the titans into the fold at last. The smile I flash, turning to stare down the enemy encampment, is grim. A horn blares in the distance, rousing the titans’ armies. In mere hours, they will dine on our blood.

I raise my chin. Lightning dances at my fingertips.

And I will feast on their bones.”

(I will be that person for a second and say, “Yas, queen!” I love me some confident Daphne. Watching her grow over the series into a confident hero has been a treat.)

Even with the additional allies, the gods’ side is vastly outnumbered by the titans’ army. It’s steep odds to retake Olympus. Can Daphne truly become the Storm of Olympus and lead her army to victory?

Read and find out for yourself! (No spoilers!)

After finishing this trilogy, I want to thank the author for all the blood, sweat, and tears that were undoubtedly put into this story. It made my mythology-obsessed heart happy. Undoubtedly, these books will join the ranks of my comfort re-reads. They have already made their mark and I don’t think I’ll ever forget them.

GIF: "Let me tell you about my feels"

Happy reading!

--BookOwl

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Lore Olympus, Volume Five" by Rachel Smythe

Book Review: "The Poppy War" by R.F. Kuang

Book Review: "Children of Dune" by Frank Herbert