Book Review: "Iron Flame" by Rebecca Yarros

 

Cover of "Iron Flame" by Rebecca Yarros

4/5 stars

 

*Spoiler alert!* 

 

“The first year is when some of us lose our lives. The second year is when the rest of us lose our humanity.” 

 

While Iron Flame took a bit of time to really get going, once it did, it absolutely went! Took off like a dragon in the heat of battle. I feared that this book would be the last in the series until an announcement from Rebecca Yarros that it will be a five-book series, which is good, because this second book left me shaking and absolutely dreading the wait for book three, which looks to be released in January 2025.


GIF: "Hello darkness, my old friend"  

“Violence, remember it's only the body that's fragile. You are unbreakable.” 

Anyways, now back to the second book, Iron Flame 

 

In the second entry of the “Empyrean” series, Cadet Violet Sorrengail has joined the rebellion, whether she wants to or not, along with her bonded dragons, Tairn and Andarna. Andarna spends significant portions of the book in the “dreamless sleep,” a crucial step in dragon development from adolescence to adulthood. But when she’s awake, Andarna is a hilarious and stubborn adolescent dragon, taking most of her waking moments driving her caretaker, Tairn, crazy.


GIF: teenager looking in the mirror

 

“‘Scratch her eyes out,’” Andarna suggests. “‘Really. The eyes are the softest tissue. Just jab your thumbs in there—’” 
 
“‘Andarna! Use some common sense,’” Tairn snaps. “‘The kneecaps are a much easier target.’”

Nothing new there. The comedy was on point along with the action. I enjoyed being along for the ride as Violet puzzled things out with her sharp intellect, but used daggers when intellect alone was insufficient. And there were many moments like that. (I am trying to be careful to not do too many spoilers here, in case anyone gets past the spoiler warning on the top of my review.)


GIF: "I love you all! You guys can make it through the storm" 

 

Now, I am aware that this is going to be unpopular, but I felt like the romance was a bit too much. At some points, I was like, “I get it, I get it; you two really love each other! But let’s get back to the story!” I need to know if the rebellion can get on its feet, can get a forge going to supply their outposts, and even erect wards around rebellion HQ! I need to know what happens when the Sorrengail siblings reunite with their mother, General Sorrengail of Basgiath, etc. 

 

“I can handle pain.” I turn toward her. “I live in pain. I practically built a house there and set up a whole economy. I can take whatever they dish out.” 

 

Oh Violet, you poor, sweet, summer child. (I also feel like this is a meme for main characters in a book, alive and happy, before the author goes, “death!”)


GIF: "Oh, my sweet summer child"
 

The last half of the book is just pure pain. As I write this, I am still processing everything that happened. I did this book on audiobook medium and kudos to the narrator, she was very good and devastating. I hope they stick with her on the next few books of the series, but damn, my heart has been torn in two. But, as with all the cliffhangers, Yarros has got me. I need to know what happens next.  

 

Do yourself a favor and pick up the first book in the series, Fourth Wing, before Iron Flame. Just be warned that both books are brutally addictive. Prepare to read both in one or two sittings.  

 

Happy reading! 

 

--BookOwl 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: "Lore Olympus, Volume Five" by Rachel Smythe

Book Review: "The Poppy War" by R.F. Kuang

Book Review: "Children of Dune" by Frank Herbert